3/09/2008

Dan's First Date With Sarah


Click here to watch this scene on youtube

Dan has been pushing for me to complete this scene for weeks. I finally reached the finish line tonight and am pleased to share it with you all. It's important to understand how significant this date was in Dan's life. He has always had girls who were into him, sometimes to the point of obsession. But he has never reciprocated. He has always considered those girls to be "weird". If you've seen any of our scenes, you know just the type of people Dan would call "weird". Dan has always pined for girls that were realistically out of his reach (don't we all?). The fact that he asked Sarah to this dance was a very big deal.

His boss, Liza, told me how for the first few months at Melmark, he completely ignored his co-workers and peers. It may have been nerves, but he knew all his bosses names, and talked to them all. It wasn't until very recently that he even referred to one of his peers by name. Once he did, something clicked, and he soon asked Sarah to the dance. What you will see in this scene are a lot of things, but know that there is a real awakening happening, a slow acceptance of reality for Dan. At least that's what I hope. Sarah has brought a joy to him that only love can. She's the first girl he didn't think was weird. I hope you enjoy the scene as much as I enjoyed that very special evening.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea Dan was going to be such a great dancer! Sarah is a lucky girl!

Hope they had fun at Hannah Montana...

Leah Spring said...

Ok...wow...I'm a puddle of tears here. I love watching Dan, and I love watching Dan with Sarah. And watching Sarah I can see my daughter in just a few very short years (she's turning 12) Thank you so much, Dan, for sharing your life with us!

Jules said...

In tears watching Dan here.
I have a son with learning disabilities and watching Dan reminds me that all the normal growing up milestones ..like a date.. ARE possible. Thankyou for sharing this..
Jules (UK)

Anonymous said...

I have a son with Down Syndrome and he has a younger brother. I hope Oliver has a full a life as Dan and that Ben is as supportive as Will.
You are both an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That was so amazing to watch - truely heartwarming! Hope they both had fun watching Hannah Montana!

Anonymous said...

Very, very awesome! Will, you have a true talent and your love for your brother is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing...

elirnerak said...

That was wonderful! I saw a story about your project in the Chestnut Hill Local.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I admit I've been quite a slacker, keep saying I'll visit this site and I never remember to get around to it. But I've watched one video and I'm hooked. :) Love you!

Melissa said...

I have a gorgeous 2yr son with DS & watching your video's makes me look so forward to his "love trials". You are so blessed to have such a wonderful family!

Thank you so much for sharing your life with us. You're an awesome dancer by the way!!

Looking forward to seeing more of your journey!

Master Dillon's Mom

Anonymous said...

PPPffft...

The Sanchez Family said...

I just found your blog today. I'm hooked....and I'm in tears. That was so heartwarming. Dan is definitely the LIFE of the party. I adore him. I have 3 sons and the youngest is one and has DS. I hope my boys have the kind of relationship you have with your brother. I can't wait to see more footage of Dan the Man!!! Love him!