7/19/2009

Dan's First Screening

Dan instructs everyone to turn off their cell phones


Last night, we screened an hour of our documentary to a full house of friends, family, and fans. I understand there were 70 confirmed guests but just before the movie began people were still showing up and they kept adding seats so I think it's safe to say it was more like 80. The event was held at Pattan in King of Prussia and was hosted by the Montgomery Country Down Syndrome Interest Group, run by Chris and Rose Townsend.

Wee had a blast! Dan was brilliant all night long. He warmly greeted every guest like a true aristocrat, giving extra attention to babies with Down syndrome. He made a bit of a game out of it, trying to guess which children had it and which didn't. We sat behind the audience so we got a full sense of how they were reacting. It was a genuine thrill to hear them laugh at his jokes, cry when he's sad, even laugh and cry simultaneously during some scenes.

The Q & A seemed like it might go south when I asked who wanted to ask the first question and was met with dead silence but once we got going it went on a lot longer than we'd planned. After that, people hung around even longer to meet Dan and share their own stories. It was truly a great night. Hopefully the first of many.

Thanks again to the Townsends for the wonderful opportunity. It was an honor.

Dan and I with Chris and Rose, presidents of MCDSIG

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy that it went so well! Great news! Congratulations to you both!

Monica said...

Congratulations on your first screening, wish I lived closer and could have come!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun! I love watching all of your video clips and would have loved to have been at your screening night. Glad it went well.

Jill, Little Joe's Mom said...

I wish we could have been there. It sounds like it was great!

Kathy said...

Take it on tour!!! I would love to sit in a group screening. Doesn't matter that we've watched all the videos as they are blogged. We are huge Dan and Will fans!

Unknown said...

This is so fantastic......love it!!! Wish we could have been there. Dan you are the man!!!

Kele said...

Jeez Will, I sooooo wish I could of been there for this one! I am not at all suprised it went well, and I know first hand that you when watching/reading about Dan, you definitely laugh and cry along with him! I love ya Dan!

Jo said...

If I could, my Daniel and I would have driven to PA to be there. Congratulations to you both!

Heather said...

Well, wish we lived close enough to be there too. Glad things went well.

Anonymous said...

I was a "no show" - at home with kids throwing up. It sounds like you had a MUCH better time!!! Congratulations!! I wish I could have been there. Please let me know if you'll be doing anything in Southern NJ!

Nancy I.

Unknown said...

It was great!!We laughed, we cried, my kids ran around afterwards. Good stuff! Fun for the whole family!

Susan said...

Hi Dan and Will,

You are both so amazing! I wish I could have seen your screening. I am such a fan or your videos.

We just got back from California and saw the Blues Brothers show at Universal Studios. I thought of you immediately Dan!!

Will you live in CA right? We also went to Comic Con. Saw many things that I know Dan would have loved! Maybe you could take Dan next year. He would have a fantastic time!

Susan
(one of Dan's biggest fans in Boston!!)
susan@karalias.com

Lindsey said...

Dan, I just wanted to say that it was a pleasure meeting you and hearing about all you do! Good luck with everything, and I'm excited to keep reading about your adventures!

All the best,
Lindsey Graham
Miss NH 2009

Mia said...

You need to check out "The Specials": http://www.the-specials.com/ It's a reality show about 5 young adults with learning disabilities in Brighton, England. They also have a ladies man like you Dan, called Sam.

Hugs,
Mia

PS. We miss you and your home videos.